What is Direct Hair Implantation?
Direct Hair Implantation (DHI) is the most advanced transplant technique available for hair treatment and restoration.
During the DHI method, hair follicles are first removed from the donor area before being transplanted directly to the recipient area without the need for scalpel cuts or the usage of tweezers.
This procedure is performed through the use of the “Choi” implant and offers multiple benefits, such as a higher survival rate of hair follicles and a significantly reduced risk of bleeding / scarring.
Through Direct Hair Implantation “DHI” the hair roots are placed with maximum density enabling a natural result.
How does the DHI method work?
As with any other hair transplant technique, the first step is a thorough and comprehensive consultation.
During this consultation, the specifics of performing the transplant are determined in agreement between the doctor and the patient. The specifications include the number of required grafts, the coverage of the area where the hair has fallen out, and the definition of the front line.
After agreeing on every detail, the procedure can begin.
- The first step is to trim the donor area – this area is usually located on the back of the head and is defined as a genetically permanent area.
- Then, both the donor area and the area where the root placement will be applied are anesthetized.
- Once the above step is completed, the extraction and implantation process begins: Initially, during the process, the grafts are taken from the donor area and then the medical staff performs the careful placement of the grafts (hair follicles) in the “Choi” implant. Following, the grafts are transplanted directly to are where the planting is taking place, one by one.
Throughout the procedure, special care is taken to implant the hair follicles at an angle of 40-45 degrees, in accordance with the angle and natural direction of hair growth, to enable a totally natural result.
What are the advantages of DHI hair transplantation?
The benefits of DHI hair transplantation include:
- High Density: Since hair transplantation is performed directly without the need to first open the canals, the hair is placed at maximum density.
- The amount of time grafts pass outside the body is greatly reduced, enabling a high survival rate of transplanted hair follicles. Thus, the grafts experience reduced trauma during the procedure, finally providing healthy results and thick hair.
- Minimal risk of bleeding at the implantation site.
- Rapid recovery from the procedure: The patient can resume normal activities faster compared to other hair transplant methods.
- The recipient site does not require pre-surgery storage thus making DHI the perfect solution for patients with longer hair.
Are there any disadvantages to using a DHI hair transplant?
Hair transplantation with the DHI method is more expensive than transplantation with the “FUE” technique.
This is due to the necessary specialized equipment, as well as due to the extensive supplementary training that surgeons and medical technical staff must undergo before performing procedures of this nature.
Over the next few months, hair will continue to grow naturally and begin to blend in with existing hair producing a completely natural final result.
An important advantage of hair transplantation with the “DHI” method is the fact that the patient can resume normal activities such as swimming or exposure to sunlight much faster than with the traditional hair transplant through the “FUE” method .